APPLICATION PERIOD HAS CLOSED
Applications for the Signature Program, Diversity on Board and NEXT were due on Friday, May 1.
Based on the financial impact of COVID-19 on many companies and organizations, we realize there may be a need for payment plans with regard to tuition. If that applies in your case, we would encourage you to apply, and if you are selected, we will work with you to discuss an approach.
Leadership Akron offers 10+ immersive learning experiences for leaders. Tailored to career and stage of life, they offer a flexible progression, becoming a vast resource and an ongoing source of inspiration. The program’s diverse connections empower participants to expand their vision in terms of community, discovery and personal development.
Applications are now closed for Signature, NEXT, and Diversity on Board programs.
How do I apply?
- You can access the application link for the appropriate program at the top of the Leadership Akron website. Or, you can access the application off any program page in the sidebar menu. Click “Apply Now” to begin the application.
- You will be prompted to enter your contact information, biographical information, and other questions relevant to the program you are applying for.
- Once you complete your application, you will receive a confirmation email from Leadership Akron confirming the receipt of your application.
Application Deadline-May 1, 2020
- Applications for the Signature, Diversity on Board, and NEXT programs must be submitted by May 1, 2020
After I complete the online application, am I done?
No, there are a few more steps to the process. We will need your headshot in a digital format (300 ppi recommended). An e-mail address for the individual it should be sent to will be provided in the confirmation email.
If you are applying for the Signature Program or Diversity on Board, you will be contacted to set up a one-on-one interview as part of the application process. Each of those programs also require you to submit written references by the application deadline. The confirmation e-mail will provide instructions regarding your references. If you completed your application and have not been contacted for an interview, please call Leadership Akron at 330.436.5291.
All applicants will be notified whether or not they were selected for the program at least four weeks prior to the start of the program. If you have not heard back regarding your application, please call Leadership Akron at 330.436.5291.
What is the tuition? is there scholarship opportunities for tuition?
Tuition information can be found on each designated program page. Financial assistance based on need may be available.
Financial aid requests are considered independently from the applications. The class is selected first, regardless of financial aid requests. After the class is selected we determine which of those accepted have requested support. Additionally, if a payment plan is needed, this can be worked out with the Leadership Akron office after the selection process is completed.
I would like to recommend an individual for a leadership akron program. where do I submit my recommendation?
We encourage you to send your recommended applicant(s) to our web site. Part of the application process for Signature and Diversity on Board calls for recommendation letters.
Do I have to live in Akron to apply?
No. Anyone who lives or works primarily in Summit County can apply.
Do I have to complete any other programs before applying to the Signature Program?
No. Many participants in our Community Leadership Institutes and Torchbearers go on to apply for the Signature Program, but neither is required to apply.
How selective is the process for the signature program?
In general, there are 2-3 applicants for every spot in the class; 40 individuals will be selected. Many candidates apply multiple times before being selected. A selection committee, made up of the members of the Leadership Akron Board of Trustees, carefully reviews all submitted applications. Each candidate will have a brief informational interview with a trustee to provide additional background on their application.
The committee looks for applicants who:
- Have demonstrated commitment and concern through past and present community volunteer activities.
- Have demonstrated a capacity for leadership within their own organizations through significant achievements relative to age and experience.
- Have the ability to make the time commitment required with the full support of the applicant’s employer.
Other considerations for the Signature Program:
- We seek representation from a diverse group of men and women in business, labor, education, health care, arts, religion, government, community-based organizations, and ethnic and minority groups.
- We seek representation from all geographic areas of the greater Akron region.
- Community service in other communities is considered in the selection process.
- It is NOT a requirement to have completed any other Leadership Akron programs or attend any Leadership Akron events.
- Appointment to the Leadership Akron Signature Program is limited. Only one candidate is selected from a business or organization in any given year.
- Due to the size restrictions of each year’s class, many well-qualified candidates will not be chosen. Applicants are encouraged to reapply in subsequent years. Oftentimes, when candidates reapply, it is noted and weighed in to the selection process.